I believe the worst is over.
I think we both are on the road to full recovery, finally.
Has it really only been a week and 3 days since Hubby brought home the cold? It’s felt more like a month long battle for blood, snot, and glory and for the most of it, we weren’t winning.
Last Friday, 5/19th, Hubby came home with a cold that knocked him flat on his butt and I spent all weekend trying to care for him. Sunday night, 5/21th, I felt my tonsils and lymph nodes begin to swell…Oh gods no…
I’m screwed…and I was.
Monday I forced myself to go to work (while sick with a cold and a yeast infection, but had to take Tuesday off because I had nothing in the tank.
Wednesday, Hubby and I returned to work again and made it through Thursday, though my left eye was having some itching and some strange gunk that I hadn’t experienced before. Hubby actually had a half day WFH on Friday so as long as he got through Thursday he would be fine.
Thursday evening all hell broke loose as I had to call into work again for Friday because my eye was literally crying the same phelgm that I was hacking up. Boogers coming out of your eye was just too much to handle. I hit a CVS Minute Clinic the next morning hoping the nurse would say ‘pink eye’ and prescribed something.
Covering the eye in case it was pink eye so it wouldn’t spread.
Nope, because apparently, I was bleeding from my eye. Fuck, Fuck, Damnit!
After crying in my car, in pain, half blind, coughing desperately thinking “do I have enough funds in the HSA account since we haven’t made our $3k deductible?” I said a few additional curse words and found an eye doctor willing to squeeze me in for an emergency appointment in 2 hours, less than a mile from home.
I thanked my lucky stars because it’s nearly unheard of to find a specialist open on a Friday before a Holiday weekend, must less with an opening to fit a new patient.
I returned home and began hacking my head off in the middle of walking up the stairs. Bad move, considering my coordination. With one tiny misstep, I tweaked my lower back. I was bed ridden for two hours on the heating pad, seriously wondering what did I do to anger any God(ess)es or if Fate just wanted to roll everything into this week, before the move in June.
I crab walked into the office 2 hours later.
The good news, it wasn’t the standard pink eye, so not as contagious. Yay! Right?
The bad news, it was acute bacterial conjunctivitis, a severe case, and a major concern. Due to my vicious hacking up phlegm, I had burst blood vessels, resulting in a subconjunctival hemorrhage as well. There was a risk that the bacterial infection could transmit into the vessels via the hemorrhage causing blindness. Especially, since the Cold wasn’t through with me yet.
This recipe for disaster was quickly averted with potent antibiotic drops to last me through the following week. I have to sleep with it bandaged so it doesn’t spread via my pillow, just in case.
Halloween came early.
Since Friday, the coughing has lessened from constant phlegm rockets to a more post nasal drip annoyance. Hubby and I still can’t sleep through the night but the hack attacks are less frequent and I might be getting 4 – 5 hours of deep sleep instead of 2-3 light dozing.
A few tips and tricks I’m gonna suggest when you and your S.O. get sick together.
- Buy tissues in bulk and buy 2 bulk packs. We’ve gone through 9 boxes of tissues collectively and have 4 more unopened packs left.
- Buy bulk water. Don’t use glasses and tap/water coolers. You will not have the energy to wash dishes constantly and you don’t want to reuse contaminated glasses by “assigning” a glass to yourself. You’ll just be sick longer.
- Microwave foods are your friends. Soups, mac and cheese, Jack Daniels heat and serve pulled meats, soft breads, and soft snack bars. You won’t have the energy to cook and favorite foods will not sound good. Right now being healthy is making sure you eat and get calories in so your body can try to fight the cold. Forget the salad and make the easy mac.
- Each to his own but we’ve found the Alka-Seltzer Plus medicine brand to be the best action. Two types: Severe Cough, Mucus, and Congestion (Day and Night); Alka-Seltzer Plus Day and Night. Pair those with Delsym for throat irritation (night time).
- Overuse of medicated cough drops will cause upset stomachs. Consider Ricola, if you are getting OTC meds. Ricola does have sugar free varieties in case of diabetic issues.
- Decide early on who is gonna be the food/drug runner. We all know that someone (though my bet is on the females) will have a better constitution to handle being sick and still get necessary shit done. There is a stereotype that men tend to be big babies when they get sick. In my marriage, when my husband is down and out…he is very much Down and OUT, so the tasks fall to me. That’s just the way it is. Accept it and move on. You can grumble while running the errands without the SO in the car.
- To S.O. who is not the drug/food runner in the relationship – Spoil the hell out of your sweetheart because they are just as sick as you are but putting aside their sickness to take care of you both so you can rest and heal.
- Keep multiple trashbags by your bed. The pile of tissues will be utterly absurd. Remember I said we’ve gone through 9 boxes this week? Where did you think they went after use? Yep, the floor. Energy conservation guys, clean up when you think straight.
- Know that you both can, and probably will, get on each others’ nerves. Sick and tired does not make for romantic times, only short fuses. Frustration tears will happen, just sniffle and snuggle through them.
- Travel size hand sanitizer bottles EVERYWHERE.